Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Flee to the Cleve

"If the whole world moved to their favorite vacation spots, then the whole world would live in Hawaii and Italy and Cleveland." -Floyd, 30 Rock Season 1, Episode 20.


Last weekend some friends and I took a little drive up to Cleveland. We left at about 3 o'clock on Friday afternoon, that sleepy time of day where there is a lull in anticipation of the weekend. I stashed the car with my favorite candies: Starburst (original), M&Ms (peanut) and gummy worms (or snakes, actually). The five of us piled into my '96 Toyota Camry and started our two hour trip up OH-13. 


We got lost in the first ten minutes. Now, if you know me at all you know that I tend to overreact and worry and panic. A lot. And while driving is one of my favorite pastimes, it is no exception to that rule. I know I have said it before, but I will say it again: RURAL OHIO IS A MAZE. Somehow we made it to Westlake, OH--unscathed for the most part, excepting our patience perhaps.


Waiting for us on the table, that giant wooden table in the kitchen, was my grandmother's delicious taco salad. Just the smell of it wafting through the old house made my mouth water and my heart beat with a nostalgic warmth. And then, to my utmost delight and surprise, my grandma opened the oven to reveal her homemade apple crisp. My initial reaction was to cry. I suppressed my tears of joy by gulping down a class of cranberry-apple juice.




Going to baseball games has been one of my fondest childhood memories of Cleveland. So walking out of the windtunnel and into the stands at the stadium was like stepping into my past. The field glowed neon in the night lights, and the crowd exploded in applause and whistling and shouts of "Chooooooo!" during the game. It also happened to be Dollar Dog Night. So, against my better judgment, I ate a hot dog. AND IT WAS DELICIOUS. 


I stayed in my aunt's old room that night. The white carpet, walls, and comforter made me feel like I was laying in a cloud. I looked up at the glow-in-the-dark stars and drifted off into a pleasant, fleecy, content sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Yes!!!!!! I'm glad someone appreciates those stars! I wish I was there with you!

    ReplyDelete