Thursday, May 5, 2011

"In meadows sweet with asphodel..."

Picnic food.
Photo booth.
Funnel cake.
Inflatables.
Neon sunglasses.
A whole lot of drunk college kids (myself excluded).

This weekend was Kenyon's Summer Sendoff. I spent part of the day on the South Quad, mostly eating and watching highly intoxicated classmates make fools of themselves playing giant Twister and tripping over each other on the inflatable obstacle course. But it was pretty fun.


Later, instead of attending the Rebelution concert (lame, right?) I went down to the Gap Trail with Meredith, Catherine, and Katie. We played on the old train and took some pretty amazing pictures with an iPhone. When we'd had our fill of synchronized jumping, staring off into space looking super hipster, and smiling goofily into the camera, we decided to take a walk down to the Kokosing. I had never been down to the river, and I was immensely surprised at how pleasant it was.



I felt daring as I trudged through uncharted woods, jumped from rock to rock, and trekked across an abandoned field slowly making my way back to the college. If it hadn't been for the distant sounds of Rebelution echoing across the rural landscape, I would not have known I was minutes away from a bustling outdoor fair of fried food and rich kids. I felt very much removed from all that, almost like I felt as a child hiking through the Provo Canyon behind my grandfather on our summer camping trips. It even smelled like his camp fire-infused button up shirts and calloused whittling hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment