Friday, July 22, 2011

Crossing the Border, eh?

It's been a while, I know.

But right now my family is eating homemade Indian food outside on the deck, and I ate so much of it I couldn't bear to see it or smell it any longer. Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely incredible. But I needed a break.

I think road trips bring out my blogging fever. I don't know what it is about driving across the country, but it drives my brain crazy--phrases and descriptions and halves of sentences and random words explode in my mind, filling it to the brim. I've been on a few road trips since May, but it's probably too much to fit into one sitting.

My most recent venture started at 6:00 am last Friday morning. It was preceded by a six-hour excursion to the final Harry Potter movie premiere (that's another story). After less than three hours of fitful sleep on the living room couch, I dragged my packed bags to the van and curled up in the middle seat for the 13-hour drive to Denver, CO.

We spent the weekend at my uncle's house and a cabin on Grand Lake. After a dozen delicious meals, losing Mitchel on the Colorado River in a kayak, an insane thunder storm, and a herd of nearly fifty elk, we piled back in the Honda Odyssey and continued on to Utah.

I am ashamed to say it, but I actually like something from McDonald's. Scratch that, I love something from McDonald's. Curious? Next time you're driving West on Highway 40 through Vernal, UT and a lot of nothing, stop by McD's and get a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit and a cinnamelt. Trust me.

I visited my future apartment, walked around campus, ate BYU Creamery ice cream, and went to Ikea. Pretty good taste of college life, I think.

I want all of these rooms: 
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/tools/bedroom_rooms_ideas

Anyway, basically my apartment is going to be the coolest on the block.

Yesterday we drove across the border between Montana and Alberta and drove into Canada. It was extremely easy. Maybe that's why those harmless, do-nothing bugs are called Canadian Soldiers...
Kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment