Thursday, February 20, 2014

A Hazy Shade of Winter

Simon and Garfunkel

It's been a long week. Even though we had a three-day weekend. How does that work? 

I had a test in one of my upper-level statistics classes today, and after I finished it I had this overwhelming feeling of paralysis. Given, I was in shock about how poorly I think I did. But it was more than that--it was a feeling of being in a winter wanderland. And no, I did not just misspell "wonderland." 

winter wanderland \'win-ter 'wän-der-land\ noun
: a place of hazy daydreams of summer, frost-bitten hands, and muddled minds resulting from the February drag of winter

Basically, I am ready for winter to be over. It has been raining quite a bit in Provo lately, and I have taken advantage of the melting snow by embarking on afternoon drives up the canyon. I go about four times a week, first making a stop at a local eatery for driving sustenance, and then taking the winding road up, up, up into the throat of the Rockies. If you plan on a similar adventure, I would recommend listening to your favorite book on tape. Mine has been Jim Dale's reading of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince." Give it a listen; Dale's performance is a fantastical masterpiece. And no, I did not just misspell "fantastic."



Some things I actually appreciate about winter:
1. The mountains in the morning when the clouds are thin and the air is cool and every crack and cliff is crisp and clear.
2. The quiet of the library when everything is silent, but the silence is full of deep breaths and deep thoughts and deep snores.
3. The sweet, biting taste of cilantro that seems to intensify exponentially the further along in winter it gets.
4. The last remains of fall--crisped brown and gold leaves that scatter the ground and peek out through the snow like confetti from a party the night before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment